Why Table Tennis
1. It’s great for getting up a sweat and getting the heart rate up. Played at the higher levels, it’s one of the fastest sports around but you don’t have to be a pro to get a good workout; you’d be surprised what a couple of hours a week hitting that little white ball around can do for your fitness.
2. You can play according to your own capabilities and limitations, and still be competitive. And being a non-contact sport, you don’t have to worry about broken bones that you can get in contact sports.
3. There’s no age or gender barriers – it’s common at clubs for 60 year old veterans to be playing 15 year old juniors, or men playing against women, and with everyone having a great time and a close match. In fact, many athletes with disabilities can compete on equal terms with able-bodied athletes at table tennis, since there is much more to the game than sheer power or strength.
4. Table tennis is a lifelong sport, that can be played competitively right up to your eighties and beyond. It’s never too late to start, and you won’t have to hang up your bat later on because you are getting too old for the sport. As you get older, better use of tactics, and technology such as long pimples or antispin, can compensate for slowing reflexes or waning speed around the court.
5. Keeps you mentally sharp as you get older is good for the brain. There is an awful lot of thinking, planning, and strategising going on out there on the court, all of which helps keep the old grey matter active!
6. Table tennis is an indoor, non-seasonal sport. You can play it all year round, day or night, and you don’t have to worry about covering up to keep harmful UV rays off you or the bad Scottish weather!
8. Table tennis is a great social sport. You’ll get to meet plenty of people down at the local club. Play a competition once in a while and you’ll be able to compete and make friends with a whole bunch of fellow table tennis enthusiasts.
For those who think Table Tennis isn’t energetic or exciting, watch the clips below and be amazed: